RULES AND CONSTITUTION OF PERSATUAN PEDIATRIK MALAYSIA (Malaysian Paediatric Association)
(1) The Association shall be known as Persatuan Pediatrik Malaysia (Malaysian Paediatric Association).
(2) Registered Address and Place of Meeting
Its registered address and place of meeting shall be at 3rd Floor (Annexe Block) National Cancer Building, 66, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, 50300 Kuala Lumpur/or at such other place or places as may from time to time be decided by the Committee. The registered address and place of meeting of the Association shall not be changed without the prior approval of the Registrar of Societies.
(3) There shall be a Patron of the Association who will be appointed at a General Meeting of the Association.
- AIMS AND OBJECTS
The aims and objects of the Association shall be:
(1) To advance the knowledge and practice of paediatrics.
(2) To promote child health.
(3) To promote research in Malaysia in the field of paediatrics and child health.
(4) To bring together periodically medical practitioners for scientific discussion and practical demonstration on paediatric subjects.
(5) To acquire, establish, print and publish books, magazines, periodicals, leaflets or other literary or scientific works that the Association may think desirable for the promotion of its objects with the approval of the authorities concerned.
(6) To do all such acts and things incidental or subsidiary to all or any of the above objects.
1) No restriction will be placed on numbers, age limits, sex, religion, race, nationality, dwelling place, clan or surname of persons who may be admitted to membership of the society.
2) No university students may be accepted as a member without the prior written Approval of the Vice-Chancellor concerned.
3) Any person or persons shall qualify as a member or members of the Association under the following categories of memberships :-
(1). HONORARY MEMBERS
Distinguished persons who have rendered notable service to the ASSOCIATION or to the advancement of paediatrics in Malaysia may on the recommendation of the Executive Committee be elected Honorary Members by a majority at a General Meeting.
(2). ORDINARY MEMBERS
Application for ordinary membership which is open to all legally qualified medical practitioners registered in Malaysia shall be made in writing to the Hon. Secretary who shall keep a register of members.
Every applicant whose application has been approved by the Executive Committee shall upon payment of the annual subscription be admitted as a member of the society and shall be entitled to all the privileges of full membership.
(3). ASSOCIATE MEMBERS
Application for Associate Membership is open to all persons, other than Doctors, who are engaged in the field of child health and shall be made in writing to the Hon. Secretary. Every applicant whose application has been approved by the Executive Committee shall upon payment of the annual subscription fee be admitted as an Associate Member and shall be entitled to the following rights and privileges:
- Receive official publications, and circulars of the Association.
- Attend meetings and functions organized by the Association.
- Elect a representative amongst themselves whom may be co-opted by the Executive Committee to sit at meetings of meetings. Such a co-opted Associate Member shall have special knowledge of the matter or matters to be discussed.
He shall be invited to express the views of Associate Members on matters affecting their interest.
Neither the representative nor any Associate Member shall have any voting rights or power to hold office.
(4). LIFE MEMBERS
Application for life membership is open to any applicant who is eligible to become an ordinary member and who pays once in a lifetime subscription of RM1,000.00.
A life member is entitled to all the privileges of an ordinary member once his application has been approved by the Executive Committee and he has paid his subscription.
The subscription payable shall be as follows:
(1) Honorary members are exempted from paying subscriptions and shall enjoy all the privileges of ordinary members except voting at meetings or holding office.
(2) Ordinary members shall pay an annual subscription of RM100.00
(3) Associate members shall pay an annual subscription of RM30.00
(4) Life members shall pay a One time Subscription of RM1,000.00
(5) All Annual Subscriptions shall be payable to the Treasurer in advance within the first seven days of January in each year.
(6) Members admitted during the second half of the year shall pay half the Annual Subscriptions for the current year.
(7) Any member who allows his arrears to exceed two years subscriptions shall receive a written notification by or on behalf of the Secretary and shall be denied the privilege of membership until he settles his account.
(8) Any member who allows his arrears to exceed three years’ subscriptions shall automatically cease to be a member of the Association.
(1) The supreme Authority of the Association is vested in a general meeting of the members. At least one-half of the total ordinary membership of the Association or twice the total number of committee members whichever is less must be present at an Annual General Meeting for its proceedings to be valid and to constitute a quorum.
(2) If half an hour after the time appointed for the meeting a quorum is not present, the meeting shall be postponed to a date (not exceeding fourteen days) to be decided by the Committee; and if a quorum is not present half an hour after the time appointed for the postponed meeting, the members present shall have the power to proceed with the business of the day but they shall not have the power to alter the Rules of the Association or to make decisions affecting affecting the whole Membership.
(3) (i) An Annual General Meeting shall be held during the period (March-May) each year the exact date, time and place to be decided by the committee. The business of the Annual General Meeting shall be:
(a) To receive the Committee Report of the working of the Association during the previous year.
(b) To receive the Treasurer’s report and the audited accounts of the Association for the previous year.
(c) To elect a committee and to appoint auditors for the ensuing year.
(ii) A preliminary notice of the Annual General Meeting stating the date, the time and the place, and calling for motions for discussion, motions for amendment of the Rules and Nominations for the Election of the Committee shall be sent by the Secretary to all members not later than thirty days before the date fixed for the meeting, and this notice shall also be prominently displayed at the Registered Address or place or place meeting of the Association.
(4) The Secretary shall send to all members at least 14 days before the meeting an Agenda including copies or minutes and reports, motions and nominations for the elections of officers, together with the Audited Accounts of the Association for the previous year. Copies of these documents will also be made available at the registered address or place of meeting of the Association for the perusal of members.
(5) An extraordinary General Meeting requisitioned by members shall be convened:-
(a) Whenever the Committee deems it desirable, or
(b) To receive the Treasurer’s report and the audited accounts of the Association for the previous year.
(c) To elect a committee and to appoint auditors for the ensuing year.
(6) An extraordinary General Meeting requisitioned by members shall be convened for a date within thirty days of the receipt of such requisition.
(7) Notice and Agenda for an extraordinary General Meeting shall be forwarded by the Secretary to all members at least fifteen days before the date fixed for the meeting.
(8) Paragraphs (5.1) and (5.2) of this Rule regarding the quorum and postponement of an Annual General Meeting shall apply also to an extraordinary General Meeting, but with the proviso that if no Quorum is present after half an hour from the time appointed for a postponed extraordinary General Meeting requisitioned by members, the meeting shall be cancelled, and no extraordinary General Meeting shall be requisitioned for the same purpose until after a lapse of at least six months from the date thereof.
(9) The Secretary shall forward to all members a copy of the draft minute of each annual and extraordinary General Meeting as soon as possible after its conclusion.
(1) A Committee consisting of the following, who shall be termed office-bearers of the Association shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting.
A VICE PRESIDENT
AN ASSISTANT SECRETARY
Six ordinary committee members
The Office Bearers of the Association and every officer performing Executive functions in the Association shall be Malaysian citizens.
(2) Names for the above officers shall be proposed and seconded and election will be by a simple majority vote of the members at the Annual General Meeting. All the office-bearers shall be elected for a period of one year and shall hold office until their successors have been appointed.
Nominations for the election of officers and motions for discussion at the General Meeting may be sent to reach the Secretary not later than 10 days after the receipt of the preliminary notice.
(3) The function of the Committee is to organize and supervise the day to day activities of the Association and to make decisions on matters affecting its running within the General Policy laid down by the General Meeting. The Committee may not act contrary to the expressed wishes of the General Meeting without prior reference to it and shall always remain subordinate to the to the General Meeting. It shall furnish a report to each Annual Meeting on its activities during the previous year.
(4) The Committee shall meet at least once in three months and 14 days notice of each meeting shall be given to the members. The President acting alone or not less than three of its members acting together may call for a meeting of the Committee to be held at any time. At least one half of the Committee members must be present for its proceedings to be valid and to constitute a Quorum.
(5) Where any urgent matter requiring the approval of the Committee arises and it is not possible to convene a meeting, the Secretary may obtain such approval by means of a circular letter. The following conditions must be fulfilled before a decision of the Committee is deemed to have been obtained:
(a) The issue must be clearly set out in the circular and forwarded to all members of the committee;
(b) At least one half of the members of the Committee must indicate whether they are in favour or against the proposal, and
(c) The decision must be by a majority vote.
Any decision obtained by circular letter shall be reported by the Secretary to the next Committee Meeting and recorded in the minutes thereof.
(6) Any member of the Committee who fails to attend three consecutive meetings of the Committee without satisfactory explanation shall be deemed to have resigned from the Committee.
(7) The Committee shall have the power to co-opt any other eligible member of the Association to fill the vacancy created by resignation or death of a Committee Member until the next Annual General Meeting.
(8) Between Annual General Meetings the Committee shall interpret the RULES of the Association and when necessary, determine any point on which the RULES are silent.
(9) Except where they are contrary to or inconsistent with the policy previously laid down by the General Meeting the decisions of the Committee shall be binding on all members of the Association unless and until countermanded by a resolution of a General Meeting.
- DUTIES OF OFFICE BEARERS
(1) The President shall during his term of office preside at all General Meetings and all meetings of the Committee and shall be responsible for the proper conduct of all such meetings. He shall have the casting vote in addition to his own, and shall sign the minutes of each meeting at the time they are approved.
(2) The Vice President shall deputise for the President during the latter’s absence.
(3) The Secretary shall conduct the business of the Association in accordance with its Rules, and shall carry out the instructions of the General Meeting and of the Committee. He shall be responsible for conducting all correspondence and keeping all books including a membership register, documents and papers except the accounts and financial records. He shall attend all meetings, and record the proceedings.
(4) The Assistant Secretary shall assist the Secretary in carrying out his duties and shall act for him in his absence.
(5) The Treasurer shall be responsible for the finances of the Association. He shall keep accounts of all its financial transactions and shall be responsible for their correctness.
(6) All the ordinary Committee members and any other members who maybe co-opted by the Committee from time to time shall fully offer their co-operation in the efficient running of the Association and its activities at all times.
- FINANCIAL PROVISIONS
(1) Subject to the following provisions in this Rule, the funds of the Association may be expended for any purpose necessary for the carrying out of its objects, including the expenses of its administration, the payment of salaries, allowances and expenses to its office-bearers and paid staff, and the audit of its accounts, but they shall on no account be used to pay the fine of any member who may be convicted in a court of law.
(2) The Treasurer may hold a petty cash advance not exceeding RM100.00 (Malaysian Ringgit) at any one time. All money in excess of the sum shall within seven days of receipt be deposited in a bank approved by the Committee. The bank account shall be in the name of the Association.
(3) All cheques or withdrawal notices of the Association’s account shall be signed two of the following: President or his Deputy, Honorary Secretary or his Deputy and the Treasurer.
(4) No expenditure exceeding RM100.00 (Malaysian Ringgit) in any one time shall be incurred without the prior sanction of the Committee, and no expenditure exceeding RM10,000.00 (Malaysian Ringgit) in any one month shall be incurred without the prior sanction of a General Meeting.
(5) As soon as possible after the end of each financial year, a statement of receipts and payments and a balance sheet for the year shall be prepared and audited by the Auditor/Auditors appointed. The audited accounts shall be submitted for the approval of the next General Meeting, and copies shall be made available at the registered address or place of meeting of the Association for the perusal of members.
(6) The financial year of the Association shall commence on 1st January of each year.
(1) One of more persons, who shall not be office-bearers of the Association shall be appointed by the Annual General Meeting as Honorary auditors. They shall hold office for one year only and shall not be re-appointed.
(2) The auditor/auditors shall be required to audit the accounts of the Association for the year, and to prepare a report or certificates for the Annual General Meeting. He/They may also be required by the President to audit the accounts of the Association for any period within the tenure of office at any date, and to make a report to the Committee
(1) Neither the Association nor its members shall attempt to restrict or in any other manner interfere or in any other manner interfere with the trade or prices or engage in any trade union activities as defined in the Trade Union Ordinance, 1959.
(2) The Association shall not hold any lottery, whether confined to its members or not, in the name of the Association or its office-bearers, committee or members.
- AMENDMENTS OF RULES
These rules may not be altered or amended except by resolution of a General Meeting. Any proposals for Amendment shall be given in writing at least 2 weeks before the Annual General Meeting of the Association. Any amendments proposed after the Annual General Meeting shall be given in writing to the Committee who shall submit to the extraordinary General Meeting duly summoned to consider them or at the next Annual General Meeting. Such amendments to these Rules must be proposed and seconded by ordinary members and must be passed by a majority of at least two-thirds of the voting members present at the meeting. Such alterations or amendments shall take effect from the date of their approval by the Registrar of Societies.
(1) The Association shall not be dissolved except with the consent of not less than three-fifths of the voting membership of the Association present in person at a General Meeting.
(2) In the event of the Association being dissolved as provided above, all debts and liabilities legally incurred on behalf of the Association shall be fully discharged and the remaining funds will be presented to any society or organization dealing with the welfare of children approved at the convened General Meeting for the purpose of the dissolution.
(3) Notice of the dissolution shall be given to the Registrar of Societies within 14 days of such dissolution.
- The Association shall be affiliated to
(1) The International Paediatric Association,
Chateau De Longchamp,
Bois De Boulogne,
(2) Association of Paediatric Societies of the Southeast Asian Region,
Medical Center Manila,
P.O. Box EA 100.
(3) Asean Paediatric Association,
c/o Professor W.A.F.J. Tumberlaka,
Professor of Paediatrics,
University of Indonesia,
6 Salemba, Jakarta, INDONESIA.